Tuesday, March 3, 2009

In the category of "Because I like to bake"

My Southern Living magazine had a recipe in it this month for a "Basic Vanilla Cake" with accompanying recipes for "Ultimate Buttercream Frosting" and variations with flavors. I wanted to try it out and they actually have cake flour at HEB! It costs less than $2 for a box so I splurged and bought it. I followed the instructions for the basic layer cake recipe with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. Here are my results.

The two cake layers are cooling. Next to it are my two days worth of lunches for work. Mongolian Beef Stirfry is so good!


The frosting. It really didn't make as much I thought it would.


The finished product with my meager attempt at piping. I don't have a set of piping tools so a plastic baggie worked just fine.

I have to say that I've tried several homemade frosting recipes and I still like the canned frosting better. For one, it's smoother and easier to spread, and two it tastes better to me.

No comments: