Saturday, January 24, 2009

Recipes from this week

Last week I got a free magazine in the mail called Food and Family and I decided to try out some of the recipes from it. Here's what I made this week:

Spaghetti Pie-
enough cooked spaghetti for a 9x 13 pan ( I used about 6-8 oz.)
Velveeta, 1/4 lb.
1/2 lb. ground beef or turkey
1 jar tomato sauce ( I use Newman's Own)
shredded Italian cheese blend
red pepper flakes (optional)

Mix together your cooked spaghetti, Velveeta, pasta sauce, ground beef, and 1/2 cup of the cheese blend. Add red pepper flakes if you like. Pour into 9x13 in pan. Top with more cheese blend. Bake at 400 for 20 mins. I serve mine with salad and bread.

Breakfast Bake

4 oz. can crescent rolls
leftover ham (from Christmas that was in my freezer)
3 eggs
1/4 c. milk
pepper
salt
cheddar cheese
mozzarella cheese

Press crescent rolls into 8x8 in pan. Make sure to cover any holes and seams. Sprinkle ham over crust. Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper together then pour over ham. Top with cheese. (Instead of mozzarella I just used some of the leftover Italian blend from the recipe above.)
Bake at 350 for 25 mins. YUM!

Original Taco Spoup
recipe courtesy of A Year of Crockpotting

--2 cans of kidney beans
--2 cans of pinto beans
--2 cans of corn
--1 large can of diced tomatoes
--1 can Rotel
--1 packet taco seasoning
--1 packet ranch dressing mix
--1 lb browned ground turkey or hamburger
--shredded cheese and sour cream

--brown meat if you are going to use it
--drain fat and add to crockpot stoneware insert
--sprinkle seasoning packets on top of meat
--drain and rinse the beans and add
--add the ENTIRE contents of the corn and tomato cans

cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5. I think the longer you cook soup, the better, so if you have the time, opt for cooking on low.

I didn't add any meat to mine, so to make up we ate ours with Fritos-delicious!

If you have time and you like to cook with your crockpot ( i really do!) I really recommend this website.This lady cooked something in her crockpot every day for a YEAR! Each recipe she gives you ingredients and directions, usually a picture, and then she gives her opinion on the dish. I've made several things from her site and they're very good.

No comments: