Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Ten Pound Twin

I thought when we had our first ultrasound back in early August ( or late July?) that we saw only one baby's heartbeat on the monitor. That baby has been born and is thriving but no one told me about his ten pound twin.

Ah yes, the evil twin that now resides on my midsection. I've been trying to get rid of this thing since March! It's made up of all those Carl's Jr. cheeseburgers, Chick-fil-A milkshakes, and ice-cold Cokes I was so fond of the last months of my pregnancy. In fact one of the first things I said to Erik after Locke was born was "I want a Coke." I gained a total of 40 pounds during my pregnancy and at 2 weeks postpartum I had lost 20-ish of it. Locke will be 12 weeks old on Thursday and in 10 weeks I only lost 10 more pounds and I'm at a plateau.

When you're breastfeeding dieting is pretty much a no-no. It messes up your milk supply and you shouldn't cut calories when you're using an extra 500 a day to feed your kid. So I've turned to exercise to help get this twin delivered and off my body. I bought Zumba for the Wii and I did it every day last week. I am so uncoordinated it's not even funny. Now I know why I've never been to a club-I can't dance! There's also a new group in Clarksville called Stroller Strides which is basically a work out group and you pay for the classes. I haven't joined yet but they have a sister club that doesn't require a membership fee and they go walking on the new greenway a couple of times a week with their kids in strollers. Locke and I are going tomorrow. It's during his first morning nap time, but he almost always falls asleep when I put him in the stroller so hopefully he'll be ok.

Also I'm on the stay-at-home-mom diet. It's not an actual diet but my new way of life. I can only eat what I've purchased at the grocery and brought home with the occasional take-out that Erik brings home for dinner. I lost 4 pounds the first week I went on this "diet." I'm not super comfortable taking Locke out to eat because it's hard to plan around his schedule so that he's a) not hungry and b) not tired and fussy. That leaves about an hour and 15 minute window every 3 hours. Plus I like to eat my meals without having to hold him too and that's best accomplished at home. Erik and I used to eat out at least 3-4 times a week before Locke was born and now it's more like 1-2. It's amazing how much cheaper it is to eat at home!

I'll try to keep the old blog updated on my weight loss progress. I've read that it can take 9 months to take off what it took 9 months to put on, but I hope that's not the case!

No comments: