Monday, July 20, 2009

I owe, I owe, so off to work I go

Many people know I've been looking for a part time job to supplement my income as a Labor and Delivery nurse. Because of budget issues, the economy, and a brand new shiny hospital opening up 3 miles away from us and taking 40% of our patients, there is no such things as overtime anymore where I work. I've had my eye out for months looking for decent part time RN jobs, which is harder than you think. I got lucky with a home health agency based out of Killeen that has clients here in Waco. I've signed up to work two 8 hour shifts every other weekend. It's very part time, but the money's very good. I've never done home health before, and it's for a pediatric patient, so I'm not sure I'll like it. The good thing is, if I still don't like it in 6 months, I can quit. I still love my full time job (most days), but I only work 3 days a week. In this season of our lives where Erik is going to school and I'm the breadwinner and we have no children, it only makes sense that I work a little more. I am very thankful that I went through 3 years of pure hell-torture (nursing school) so that I could have a good job. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about being a nurse to just do it.

No comments: