Friday, August 29, 2008

Being a Labor and Delivery Nurse

For the last three months I have been training as a Labor and Delivery RN. Let me just say this is the hardest thing I've done next to learning how to be married. It's been a rough three months adjusting to a new schedule that begins at 4:55 am three days a week and doesn't end til 7:30 pm. I used to have nightmares every single night that I would do something wrong and I would constantly wake up. Thankfully during this training period I've had a great preceptor with 28 years experience who's taught me so much about this field. While the birth of a child is magical, it is by no means pretty, and I have learned to be comfortable in this setting. One thing I was deathly afraid of in the beginning was catching babies, which is nurse-slang for the nurse who takes the baby from the doctor after it is born and attends to it. In the past 2 weeks I have come to love this job and often request it during assignments (usually I'm rejected and given a laboring woman instead :-) One of the toughest parts of this job was learning to fit into a group a women who have been doing this much longer than me and aren't accustomed to newbies. I tried to do this by working my tail off and rising to challenges. Hopefully I can continue to earn their respect. My absolute favorite thing about this job is meeting couples who truly desire a baby and experiencing the joy of the birth of their child with them. Whether by c-section or natural labor it's an awesome experience every day. By the way, I love having 2 days off every week!
P.S. Erik started law school this week and it's going well!

No comments: